Saturday, September 6, 2014

Dreams really do come true!




















July 5th 2014, I married my best friend. And it was absolutely perfect in everyway. It was everything I dreamed of and more. But more importantly the man who was waiting for me at the end of the aisle was too.

Seems like just yesterday I was a little girl fanatisizing about my wedding. I wanted a staircase, a stunning entrance, beautiful friends standing beside me, tons of flowers, and a clear blue sky, close family and friends surrounding me, beautiful chandeliers, bling (and lots of it) Well, dreams come true because that's exactly what I got.  

As I got older, I began thinking more about my husband who would wait for me at the end of the aisle. I created a list of things that he must be. I was encouraged to create this list in youth one year, to spend time with God, and pray about the list, make the list practical, and so on. And so I did. And during my wedding week I located that list and proudly checked off every single "requirement".  

During wedding week DJ and I met with our close friend, and minister Barry Donham to discuss what the wedding would be like, what love is, what marriage means etc. And he gave us a glimpse of what our ceremony would be like. 

July 5th came before I knew it. It was finally  wedding day!  Rehearsal that morning went fantastic and then it was time for DJ to go with his guys and me and my girls to head out for lunch. As I watched DJ leave with his boys I got butterflies, the next time I would see him I would be a bride. It was a really chill day, Olive Garden, getting ready, all of it was laid back. 




























My girls were with me while I was getting hair and make up done but I wanted to get into my dress just me and mom. I wanted my girls to have a first look too!  While mom and I were getting ready she gave me some special items. First she showed me the blue heart (for something blue) that was taken from my dad's work shirt. It was tailored into my dress and was so special!!! We put the dress on and she fastened it up and then gave me some very special items to wear. They were all my nana's and that meant so much, she couldn't be there physically but I was able to still have a part of her there with me on my big day.  She placed my nana's diamond watch on my wrist for something old and then placed the diamond stone from from my nana's ring (which was turned into a necklace that my mom wears everyday) for "something borrowed" My earrings, dress and shoes were my " something new" and then my nana's sweet friend June had gave me a six pence for the "six pence in the shoe". It was complete, I now had the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a six pence in your shoe"










































































Meanwhile my girls had been outside taking photographs. I have to say my friends are gorgeous. See for yourself! 




































































The photographer also had went over to the grooms room to snap photographs of  DJ and his "squad" as he would call them haha. 


































Timing worked out perfect because by the time I had finished all finishing touches she was ready to photograph my girls first look! 









Then the photographer was ready to capture our first look. I walked out and DJs back was facing me, he was so incredibly handsome. Butterflies filled my tummy and chills swept over me.  I tapped him on his shoulder and he turned around, I was speechless, literally  shaking, fighting back tears, and silently thanking God for picking him for me.  Our eyes met and it was like a slideshow played through my head. The first time we held hands, the first time he said " I love you", him bringing Braylon to the recovery room to see me, the engagement, every big moment flashed through my head in an instant. He said, " your beautiful Brenda" and we embraced one another. It was seriously magical. 











Before I knew it I saw people start filling the seats, and I watched my Nana's beautiful watch tick closer to 7:00. Then the ceremony began. I peeked out to see DJ walk his mom down the aisle and I cried. I Quickly fixed myself up and noticed my wedding planner was motioning for me to make my enterance. And there  I was walking out, down the stairs, my loving dad waiting for me at the end of the staircase ready to walk me down the ailse, about to become a wife.
Our minister welcomed everyone, said the sweetest prayer and then my daddy loaned me to DJ.  (He is real particular that he didn't give me to him, he loaned me too him haha) Can't forget to mention that Braylon joined hands with us at the alter. It wasn't planned but it certainly was perfect!













































































































































Then came time for the charge to the bride and groom. Everything he spoke touched us both, and I could feel Gods presence. Everything faded away, It felt like it was Barry, Me, DJ and God. Next, we exchanged vows that DJ and I had written together after lots of thinking and praying.
Then came time for the exchange of rings, Barry (our minister) talked to is about what the rings symbolized and we exchanged rings. 




















Then Barry informed our family and friends that DJ and I would be putting together a unity cross and explained what the cross symbolized. (The frame Cross represents the man, his strength and stability. The more intricate cross that goes inside the frame cross represents the woman, her beauty, her delicacy, etc.  The three screws that hold the two together represent the Father, the Son, and The Holy Spirit and just as they hold the cross together they hold our marriage together.)  He then instructed them that DJ and I would pray together and that they too could pray for us and blessings over our marriage.  Meanwhile the song "God gave me you" played. 
































We returned to the alter and Barry gave his closing remarks and pronounced us husband and wife.... And of course told DJ he could kiss his bride!!! 














We exited, as the Johnson family! It hit me, I was married to my soul mate, best friend, high school sweetheart, father of my son, my biggest encourager, comforter and supporter! I finally shared the same last name as my two favorite boys!






























And then we joined our friends and family for a fun-filled reception!


















































































































After good food, lots of love and laughter we went out to watch the firework show and then on to our sparkler send off!!





















And since then, we have lived happily ever after :)





















No comments:

Post a Comment