Saturday, June 14, 2014

Precious Memories

Today was a day of reminiscing on my childhood.  The best part was that I was able to tell Braylon and show him parts of my childhood. 

We were at the new house, which is close to my childhood home and my nana's old house... I hesitate to say "old" because to me that house will always be my nana's house no matter who lives in it.  Braylon wanted to go on a walk and I let him choose the directions we went and he ended up at my old street. I got chills. This was my old stomping ground, my neighborhood, memories flooded my mind. As we walked down the block I told Braylon who lived in these houses when I was a kid, and some special memories about each of my former neighbors. Before I knew it we were at my old house. I told him that mommy used to live there with nana and da. He was confused but went along anyway. I showed him the big sycamore tree in the front yard. Funny how it seemed so incredibly tall when I was a kid but now it didn't seem too big afterall. I told him how I use to climb it and jump off of that front porch over the flowers onto the soft grass.

  Before I knew it we were three houses down from my childhood home, my nanas house. I told him that it was my nanas house, his great nana, and showed him a picture of her.  His response was " her a itty bitty nana huh". He is right, she was.  Her 5'0  108 pound body that had shriveled due to her osteoporosis was very small in stature. Although she was little, she sure was fierce and a fighter. I told him my nana was sick and hurt a lot but she never showed it. I told him multiple stories about her. He laughed at most of them and said "that's a silly nana". Then he took off in a sprint  to a brick planter. I use to do gymnastics off this planter and cheerleading on it. He got up there and started walking on the ledge, balancing himself. I teared up It was such an awesome feeling to see him doing what I once did. He jumped off and took of down the sidewalk. I let some tears flow. That sidewalk he was running on was the sidewalk I learned to ride my bike on, the sidewalk my stroller went on,  the sidewalk I tried to cook an egg on. Oh those precious memories. 

We walked back up the block and he said "that's my tiny nana house" as we passed my nana's house . He also exclaimed that's mama and da and nana old house as we passed by my childhood home. We walked back up to our drive way of our new home and I realized this home we purchased in February is not only the beginning if our new chapter, but will be where Braylon makes his precious memories, where he will take my grandchildren one day, and that makes my heart happy. I told him as we walked in the driveway, Braylon this is your home that you get to build memories in, and he looked at me with his handsome little smiley face, and hugged my leg. 


I was so blessed to share my memories with my son and can't wait to make new ones with his daddy and him soon! 

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet, Brenda!! I love keeping up with you like this. What an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete